Something terrible happened this weekend. I reached a point on my shawl where I thought it would be a good idea to have the second skein of yarn wound up and ready to go. My new ball winder needs an adjustment, so I took it with me to my local shop to see if I could use their set up until mine is back in good working order. Not very far into the winding the yarn broke. Or we thought it broke. On closer inspection, it looked like the yarn was cut. After severl more cuts we started looking at the skein more closely and found more cut ends. In short, this skein was shredded. It took 3 intrepid knitters 5 hours to get it all untangled and wound up. It was a nightmare because I didn't know precisely how much of that mangled mess I was going to need to finish my shawl, and this yarn is discontinued, so there is no more to be had (I checked). I suspect someone along this skein's journey from manufacturer to me used a box cutter in an irresponsible fashion. This is what it looks like now.
On a much better note, my step-daughter has become a knitter! And not just a knitter, but a knitter of lace. Behold her first finished shawl.
Maia Shoulderette and the yarn is Wollmeise.